Friday, November 5, 2010

Review: Undeniably Yours by Shannon Stacey

Undeniably Yours by Shannon Stacey
Kowalski Family #2
Contemporary Romance
Novemeber 1, 2010
ebook, 417 kb
Carina Press
Source: Purchased ebook from carinapress.com

Bar owner Kevin Kowalski is used to women throwing their phone numbers at him, but lately he’s more interested in finding a woman to settle down with. A woman like Beth Hansen. If only their first meeting hadn’t gone so badly...
Beth’s tending bar at a wedding when she comes face-to-face with a tuxedo-clad man she never thought she’d see again. She tries to keep her distance from Kevin but, by last call, she can’t say no to his too-blue eyes or the invitation back to his room. Then she slips out before breakfast without leaving a note and, despite their precautions, pregnant...
Kevin quickly warms to the idea of being a dad and to seeing where things go with Beth. After all, he’s not the player she thinks he is. But she’s not ready for a relationship and, given his reputation, it’s going to take a lot to convince her to go on a second date with the father of her child...

In the first book, we learn that Kevin Kowalski used to work as a police officer and was married up until 2 years ago when he found his wife in bed with his boss. Now, Kevin runs a successful sports bar named Jasper’s and has a parade of willing ladies leaving him kiss-stained napkins. However, Kevin isn’t interested in a one night stand with the napkin floozies. When Beth Hansen walks into Jasper’s, he knows instantly that she is different and when he finally gets her into bed, he is left all alone the next morning without an way to contact her.

From childhood, Beth has been independent. Since she is the only child of parents who experienced multiple miscarriages, she has felt smothered her entire life and as a result, constantly moves from city to city trying to prove that she can make it on her own. After one night with Kevin, however, she ends up pregnant and her world is flipped upside down. Afraid of what Kevin reaction will be to the pregnancy, she is shocked to learn that Kevin is excited at the idea of being a father and perhaps beginning a real relationship with Beth. However, Beth isn’t too keen in Kevin asserting himself into her life so they agree to just be friends, no matter how hard it is for them to not indulge in their lustful feelings for one another.
Let me first say that I had no idea this book even existed until about 2 days before it was released. Shannon Stacey’s Exclusively Yours was my first purchase from Carina Press and absolutely one of my favourite contemporary romance reads this year. When I saw that one of my friends on Goodreads marked Undeniably Yours as a to-read I was floored that I had no clue Stacey wrote a second book dealing with the Kowalski family. How could something like this slip under my radar? Quick, someone grab a ruler and slap my hands a few times. Bad book blogging me! However, I didn’t have to wait a million years for the book to be released which was a nice change.
Kevin was just as lovable as I remember him from the first book. He’s cute and goofy, yet not to the point of immaturity. Beth, on the other hand, started to get on my nerves about half-way through the book. Her constant refusal to accept Kevin’s feelings towards her had me fuming. Being an only child, I understand the feeling of being hounded by your parents and wanting to establish your own independence. Yet, her routine of holding Kevin at arm’s length through ¾ of the book had me frustrated. As a result, I didn’t warm up to Beth as much as I did to Kevin. However, I did enjoy seeing Beth breakout of her shell near the end of the book and realize how wonderful life can be when you share it with someone you love.
Like the first book, the secondary characters play a major role in the story. I felt like I got a 2 for 1 in this book because Stacey also includes a little side story featuring Paulie, a waitress at Jasper’s and one of Kevin best friends. Usually, when authors try and carve out a second storyline in a book it detracts attention from the main couple. However, in Undeniably Yours, Stacey manages to fluidly switch between both romantic storylines. I was just as invested in Paulie’s relationship with her love interest Sam as I was with Kevin and Beth. Honestly, the Paulie storyline was a nice break in being constantly frustrated with Beth.
I adore the Kowalski family. Some of my favourite parts in the book are when Kevin’s nephew Bobby tells jokes to Beth’s stomach. Their unbelievably cheesy but just what you would imagine a little boy would say. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to be a part of a fictional family as much as I do the Kowalski's.
Undeniably Yours cements the Kowalski Family series as one of my favourite contemporary romance reads. I highly recommended this book and Exclusively Yours for anyone looking for something that’s light-hearted and portrays strong family values.
Really liked it! It was mmm mmm good.

Others Opinions:
~Tracy's Place - 4/5

Other books in the series:
Exclusively Yours

0 comments:

Post a Comment