Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Review: Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning
Fever #2
Urban Fantasy
August 26, 2008
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Random House Publishing
Source: Purchased a copy from my local Chapters.
Steam factor: 1 out of 5 cups of steamin' smexy goodness.
Favorite quote: "One day you may kiss a man you can't breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence."

I used to be your average, everyday girl but all that changed one night in Dublin when I saw my first Fae, and got dragged into a world of deadly immortals and ancient secrets...

In her fight to stay alive, MacKayla must find the Sinsar Dubh-a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over the worlds of both the Fae and Man. Pursued by assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she can't trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and powerful men: V'lane, the immortal Fae Prince, and Jericho Barrons, a man as irresistible as he is dangerous.

For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them.


After a shaky start, I can now say I have officially caught the fever! Picking up where the first book left off, Bloodfever eclipses Darkfever in more ways than one.

The book begins with Mac still recovering from her injuries in meeting with the Lord Master. Although she is finally starting to feel at home at Barrons Books and Baubles, she soon starts seeing a spectral figure that bares an eerie resemblance to death. Conflict escalates when Mac is questioned by the Garda (Irish police) for murder and Derek O'Bannion shows up at the store looking for his dead brother. However, Mac finds some hope in discovering more about her abilities when she runs into another sidhe-seer. But when Mac is kidnapped by an enemy she thought was dead, she is forced to make a decision that may have terrible consequences for her in the future.

I liked this version of Mac far more than the last version. In the book, Mac says that there are two Macs, girly Mac and savage Mac. In Bloodfever, girly Mac takes a backseat. She continues her transformation into grown-up Mac as she begins to grapple with the seriousness of her situation. Yet, she still retains some her southern charm. I get quite a kick out of her telling Barrons he is a "petunia".

However, Barrons is just as mysterious as ever. Throughout the entire book I was so frustrated because when you think you have it figured out, Moning adds a new twist. I'm just confused about Barrons as I ever was. However, I have my theories about what Barrons could be. Also, I enjoyed the added sexual chemistry of Barrons and Mac's relationship. While the sparks between the two is evident in the first book, their attraction is undeniable in Bloodfever. I'm still keeping up hope that these two will end up together in the end.

Along with throwing new curve balls into Barrons true identify, Moning also adds some new twists to the story. While some plot lines get wrapped, new ones are introduced. As a result, I am now hooked on this series. I thoroughly enjoy Moning's writing style and found that I finished the book faster than I wanted to. I'm lucky that I can just pick Faefever right off my bookshelf. Actually, that is what I'm going to do right now. Watch out Barrons, here I come.


Really liked it! It was mmm mmm good.

Other Opinions:

Other books in the series:
Darkfever
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever (January 18, 2011)

0 comments:

Post a Comment